Know the Hourly Periods for Outside Water Usage
All residents should be familiar with the Village watering regulations. The following is taken directly from the Riverwoods website.
A. Between May 15 and September 15 of each year it shall be unlawful for any person to draw water, whether from the village’s water system or from shallow wells of five hundred feet (500’) or less, for filling swimming pools or for the sprinkling, watering or irrigation of lawns, ground cover, or gardens, if such water use occurs between the hours of ten o’clock (10:00) A.M. and five o’clock (5:00) P.M., except as follows:
- Handheld sprinkling devices such as garden hoses used to water grass, flowers, vegetables or shrubbery shall be exempt from the provisions of this section. The term “handheld sprinkling devices” shall exclude any automatic irrigation system or any mechanical device designed for dispensing water which is attached to a garden hose or water outlet and set to run continuously or on a timed cycle.
- Newly sodded or seeded areas of lawns may be watered at any time on any day for the two (2) week period following the installation of such sod/seed.
- This section does not apply to water drawn from deep wells of more than five hundred feet (500’) or retention ponds located on nonresidential property in the village.
- This section does not apply to the continuous replenishment of water in a swimming pool to maintain water levels after the pool is filled. (Ord. 10-9-21, 9-21-2010)
- Any person or property owner violating any provision hereof shall be fined not less than twenty five dollars ($25.00) for each offense occurring on residential property and not less than one hundred dollars ($100.00) for each offense occurring on nonresidential property. (Ord. 96-7-13, 7-16-1996)