A Reminder About Open Burning and Residential Outdoor Lighting

Here are some things to keep in mind:

Open Burning

  1. Open burning is allowed for “landscape waste” between 8:00am and 8:00pm.
  2. The fire must be continuously attended
  3. At least one fire extinguisher with a 4-A  rating, or two 2-A rated extinguishers, or a garden hose must be present
  4. If wood is being burned, it must be seasoned (not green)
  5. Garbage and other non-landscape waste must not be burned
  6. The burn area must be confined to an area no larger than 5’x5’x5’.
  7. Fire rings and open fire pits must be located at least 50’ from any structure (at least 15’ of clearance is required for enclosed burning) and not be located under low lying tree branches.
  8. Bonfires are not allowed other than by special permit from the Village.

For more details, click on our Municipal Code on our website, in Title 5. Don’t forget to take in the beauty of autumn in Riverwoods before you get your rake out.

Outdoor Lighting – Speaking of good neighbors, please be aware of your outdoor lighting and the effect it may have on your neighbors. If you notice your neighbor reading the newspaper at night with the lights off, that’s not a good sign. Here are some things to keep in mind:

  1. Tree, facade and security-mounted lights should be aimed down, with no direct line of sight from another property.
  2. Tree mounted lights should shut off by 10:00pm.
  3. Security-mounted lights should be shielded if the center of the beam is closer than 30’ to the property line and higher than 45 degrees horizontal.
  4. Light pole fixtures should not be higher than 12’.
  5. A maximum of two security lights are allowed per lot.
  6. A maximum of 0.1 of what is referred to as “foot candle” illumination is permitted as spillover lighting on your neighbor’s property. If the 0.1 figure is exceeded, you may need to not only aim light fixtures down, but also to reduce the overall amount of illumination on your property.

For more details, click on our website Village Municipal Code and search chapter 6. When the leaves fall and the snows arrive, things will only get brighter.

West Nile Virus

West Nile virus is contracted from the bite of a mosquito infected with the virus. While most people infected with WNV have no symptoms of illness, some may become ill with headache, high fever, muscle weakness and sometimes a skin rash. These symptoms usually appear three to 15 days after the bite of an infected mosquito. The virus may occasionally cause serious complications.

Information about WNV can be found by calling the Health Department’s West Nile Virus hotline at: 847-377-8300 or on the Department’s Web site at: https://www.dph.illinois.gov/topics-services/diseases-and-conditions/west-nile-virus or call 847-377-8300 if you have any questions or concerns about the West Nile Virus or dead birds. The Village of Riverwoods does NOT pick up dead birds and the Lake County Health Department only picks up certain types and numbers of birds. Any birds not picked up should be thrown out with your regular trash pick-up.

Get Involved - Riverwoods Preservation Council

If you’re interested in getting involved, please email David Shimberg at riverwoodspreservation@gmail.com or visit www.riverwoodsrpc.org.

Ditches and Drainageways

Please remember your ditches and drainageways. They need to get cleaned up so when it rains debris doesn’t get picked up and washed into the culverts and end up blocking them and the flow of water. NOTE: it is illegal to dump materials such as grass clippings or leaves into a recognized drainageway. Violators may be issued a citation. If you see someone dumping or see debris in one of our drainageways, please contact the Village at 847-945-3990.

Southlake Mosquito Abatement District/Riverwoods Resident Communications

The Village of Riverwoods residents may use one of two methods to report potential mosquito breeding sites, standing, and/or stagnant water.  Both are set up to receive information from residents and other areas in the Southlake Mosquito Abatement District.  You may also use these two methods if you would like to register for notifications of adult mosquito control applications.

  1. Email:  southlake@clarke.com
  2. Mosquito hotline:  800-942-2555

Please provide your full name, address, telephone number and location of the water.  A technician will be sent out to inspect and treat the water if necessary.


Making Payments

Riverwoods residents can pay their water bill and citations by clicking here, visiting the Village Hall, using the drop box in the Village entry, mail, or calling us with a credit card.

Thank you for your payment.

SWALCO Household Chemical Waste Collections will Accept Unused Medications from Residents

The Solid Waste Agency of Lake County, IL (SWALCO) will begin their Household Chemical Waste (HCW) collection program in March to help residents dispose of their chemical wastes safely and conveniently. Old prescription medications, as well as unused over-the-counter medications, are accepted at Deerfield Police Department.

Scientists have recently discovered everything from painkillers to anti-depressants to antibiotics in our water supply. These drugs can harm the wildlife that rely on our rivers and lakes, as well as kill the beneficial bacteria in our septic systems. Therefore, please do NOT flush away old and unused medications in your sink or toilet.

There will be collections in other parts of the county throughout the year. Residents can call the Solid Waste Agency of Lake County at 847-336-9340 or go to SWALCO’s website for further information about the HCW collection events.

SWALCO facilitates Compost Bin sales

The Solid Waste Agency of Lake County (SWALCO) is making compost bins available to county residents through a variety of sales dates and locations this year.

Composting at home requires a mix of materials high in nitrogen (such as grass clippings and leaves) and materials high in carbon (such as vegetable and fruit peelings). Each composter comes with an educational booklet that describes the process of getting started and producing high-quality compost.

For more information check out the SWALCO composting website or contact the SWALCO office at 847-336-9340.


The Solid Waste Agency of Lake County, IL (SWALCO) is pleased to announce the opening of its
first satellite center for the collection of HOUSEHOLD CHEMICAL WASTE.

Residents of the Lincolnshire-Riverwoods Fire Protection District can now drop-off their household
chemical waste at:
Fire Department, Station 51
115 Schelter Road
Lincolnshire, IL

The Household Chemical Waste Satellite Collection Program is sponsored by the Lincolnshire-Riverwoods
Fire Protection District, the Village of Lincolnshire, and SWALCO for residents of the
District. Chemical waste materials can be dropped off, by appointment only, at the Fire Station.
Please contact the Lincolnshire-Riverwoods Fire Department at 847-634-2512 to schedule your
appointment or find out dates for upcoming collections.


  • Aerosol Products
  • Antifreeze
  • Drain Cleaners
  • Driveway Sealer
  • Fluorescent Light Bulbs/CFL’s
  • Fungicides and Herbicides
  • Garden and Lawn Chemicals
  • Gasoline and Kerosene
  • Hobby Chemicals
  • Household Cleaners
  • Household Batteries (lithium and rechargeable only)
  • Insecticides and Pesticides
  • Mercury (including thermometers and thermostats)
  • Metal Polishes
  • Motor Oil
  • Oil-Based Paints
  • Paint Removers, Varnishes and Thinners
  • Personal Care Products (Cosmetics, Skin Care Products, etc.)
  • Pool Chemicals
  • Prescription and Over-the-Counter Medications— People & Pet (NDEA Controlled
  • Solvents
  • Supplements and Vitamins


  • Agricultural Chemicals
  • Alkaline Batteries
  • Business or Institutional Wastes
  • Explosives or Ammunition
  • Fire Extinguishers
  • Fireworks
  • Household Electronics
  • Latex Paint
  • Lead-Acid Batteries
  • Propane Tanks
  • Sharps or Needles
  • Smoke Detectors
  • Tires
  • Unknown items – waste must be in original containers or labeled accordingly
  • Containers larger than two gallons

Illinois Tollway

Read up-to-date information about highway projects in Illinois at http://www.illinoistollway.com/

Residential Associations

Stay in the Loop

The Village is once again seeking to update its list of Riverwoods homeowner associations so that it can keep them informed regarding issues that might have an impact on their neighborhoods. Make sure that we have your most up-to-date information. Send along your association’s name, address, phone number and e-mail, as well as a contact name (President) to Susan Crohn (interim). You can also fax the list to 847-945-4059.

Find Help in Lake County

Connect with Lake County services 24 hours a day, seven days a week at www.FindHelpLakeCounty.org. Find and access health and human services using this free, web-based, searchable database.

Get Involved - Riverwoods Book Club

Exercise your brain and make some new friends!  Everyone welcome.  The book club is free to all and meets at the Village Hall one Friday a month at 10am.  Contact June Melber at 847-940-7086, or email her at argos501@aol.com

Get Involved - Plant Sale Committee

New members always welcome!  We’re always looking for some extra help.  Come along and have some fun.  For more information please call Sheila Hollander at 847-945-4879.

What's in a fluorescent lamp and why should I recycle them?

Fluorescent lamps contain a very small amount of liquid and evaporated mercury sealed within the glass tubing. A single four foot fluorescent tube contains from 5 to 50 milligrams of mercury. CFL’s contain an average of 4 milligrams – about the amount that would cover the tip of a ballpoint pen. By comparison, older thermometers contain about 500 milligrams of mercury – an amount equal to the mercury in 125 CFLs. Mercury is an essential part of a fluorescent lamp; it allows the bulb to be an efficient light source. No mercury is released when the bulbs are intact (not broken) or in use. Mercury vapors are released when a lamp breaks. Mercury is toxic to the human central nervous system. Each year, an estimated 600 million fluorescent lamps are disposed of in U.S. landfills amounting to 30,000 pounds of mercury waste. Recycling of the lamp components is the recommended method of disposal by the Environmental Protection Agency and helps to minimize exposure to mercury, greatly reduce the mercury dilemma and create a much safer environment.

What should I do if I break a fluorescent lamp in my home?

Guidance on proper methods of handling broken fluorescent lamps is available from the US EPA and from many state agencies and local health and environmental authorities. The EPA guidelines can be found at http://www.epa.gov/mercury/spills/index.htmimg. Small numbers of broken lamps typically do not present a hazard to human health or the environment, provided the area is adequately ventilated and proper cleanup procedures are used.

Tree Footer

Notification System

The Village of Riverwoods utilizes Blackboard Connect service for emergency resident notification side-by-side with the Village non-emergency resident email database. As a resident or business you can opt-in to emergency messages, non-emergency messages or both.

Learn More
Back to top