Parks and Recreation
Several Links to Local and other Park Resources are listed below:
- Lake County Forest Preserve District
- Deerfield Park District
- Ryerson Woods Conservation Area
- Glencoe Park District
- Glenview Park District – email only
- Park District of Highland Park
- Lake Forest Recreation Department
- Northbrook Park District
- Wilmette Park District
- Winnetka Park District
- Illinois Parks and Recreation Association
- Illinois Association of Park Districts
- Illinois Department of Natural Resources
- National Recreation and Parks Association
- Brushwood Center at Ryerson Woods
Sites for Individuals with Disabilities
The Northern Suburban Special Recreation Association (NSSRA) provides recreation programs for individuals with disabilities in the North Shore Area. View a PDF with information about programs and services (PDF). The other links in this section were gathered from their newsletter.
Higher Education in Lake & Northern Cook Counties Links
All the Educational Institution links below were found in their 1999-2000 directory. Whenever possible, the location of the closest campus to Riverwoods is listed.
Also visit the University Center of Lake County with several locations throughout Lake County.
- The College of Lake County – Grayslake (Lake County, Main Campus)
- William Rainey Harper College – Palatine (Cook County)
- Oakton Community College – Des Plaines (Cook County)
Four Year Colleges
- Columbia College of Missouri – Gurnee (Lake County), Crystal Lake (McHenry County)
- Concordia University – River Forest (Main Campus)
- DePaul University – Lake Forest (Lake County Campus)
- Dominican University –(formerly Rosary College)
- e-learning – University of Illinois Extension on the Internet
- Elmhurst College – Elmhurst (Cook County)
- Governors State University – University Park
- The Illinois Institute of Art – Schaumburg & Chicago (Cook County)
- Illinois Institute of Technology – Chicago (Cook County, Main Campus)
- Keller Graduate School of Management – Linconshire (Lake County)
- Lake Forest College – Lake Forest (Lake County)
- Lake Forest Graduate School of Management – Lake Forest (Lake County)
- Lewis University – Grayslake (Lake County Extension Site)
- Loyola University of Chicago – Chicago (Cook County)
- National-Louis University – Wheeling Campus (Cook County)
- North Central College – Schaumburg Campus (Cook County)
- North Park University – Highland Park (Lake County)
- Northeastern Illinois University – Chicago (Cook County), Deerfield Extension Site (Lake County)
- Northwestern University – Evanston (Cook County)
- Olivet Nazarene University – Schaumburg (Cook County)
- Roosevelt University – Schaumburg (Cook County)
- Shimer College – Waukegan (Lake County)
- Southern Illinois University – Great Lakes & Grayslake – (Lake County)
- Trinity International University – Deerfield (Lake County)
- University of Chicago – Chicago (Cook County)
- University of Illinois – UIC Chicago (Cook County)
- University of St. Francis – Waukegan (Lake County)
- Webster University Graduate School – Deerfield (Lake County)
Schools in the Community Links
- Lincolnshire – Prairie View School District 103
- Laura B. Sprague School (Gr K-2)
- Half Day School (Gr 3-4)
- Daniel Wright Junior High School (Gr 5-8)
- Deerfield School District 109
- Deerfield High School
- Bannockburn School
- Stevenson High School https://www.d125.org/
Lake County Organizations Links
The ‘Lake County, IL Home Page’, the official government site for Lake County.
‘Lake County, Illinois Hot Spot on the World Wide Web!’ is an excellent site to find out everything you need to know about Lake County and what’s happening!
The official website for the Lake County Forest Preserve District contains information on our area’s dynamic and unique system of diverse natural and cultural resources.
Lake Online’s ‘Guide to Lake County Forest Preserves’, will help you find your way around the many preserves of Lake County.
Neighboring Communities Links
- Buffalo Grove, Illinois Home Page
- Village of Deerfield Illinois
- Highland Park, Illinois – Community Network
- Village of Lincolnshire, Illinois
- Wheeling, Illinois – Home Page
- Village of Wheeling, Illinois
- Village of Northbrook, Illinois
- Glenview, Illinois Home Page
Looking for another city? You may find it at The USA CityLink Project.
Riverwoods Village Links
- Brentwood North Healthcare Center – a Boulevard Healthcare Management LLC facility
- Home page for the Riverwoods Montessori School, fully accredited by The American Montessori Society.
- The Deerfield, Riverwoods, Bannockburn Chamber of Commerce (DBR Chamber of Commerce) contains information on Riverwoods and local area businesses.
- Local resident and real estate broker, Michele Vold, maintains a website with Riverwoods news, centering around the Thorngate subdivision at: www.thorngatenews.com.
- Brushwood Center at Ryerson Woods
Commuter Travel Resources
Here is a listing of transportation websites to help you better commute by car or transit. Please travel safely!
The Regional Transportation Agency (RTA) provides a commuter trip planner to provide commuters with information on which buses or trains to take.
Pace Suburban Bus provides route, schedule and fare information on suburban bus service. Information is also available for all of the Shuttle Bug routes that provide connecting service between Metra stations and area employers. Web Watch can provide commuters real time travel information on buses.
Metra is one of the nation’s premier commuter rail systems. Its web site provides information on fares, schedules, stations, connecting services and tickets. Take Metra commuter trains to access Shuttle Bug service and avoid winter driving hassles. With about a 98% on-time performance rating, Metra provides a reliable, safe and economical alternative to driving. Get service updates via email and buy your ticket online with a credit card.
The Chicago Transit Authority provides bus and El service in Chicago and nearby suburbs. Its web site provides routes, schedules, fares and connections as well as information on Chicago Card/Plus.
PASSAGE is an Intelligent Transportation System designed to provide motorists real time traffic congestion information due to crashes and construction events. These events are communicated through the police department’s Computer Aided Dispatch (CAD) system that is sent directly to the Transportation Management Center (TMC), then communicated back to highway users via www.lakecountypassage.com, PASSAGE Highway Advisory Radio (HAR) 1620 AM, and variable message signs.
Travel Midwest is a voluntary organization with active member participation from the Wisconsin Department of Transportation, the Illinois Department of Transportation, the Indiana Department of Transportation, the Michigan Department of Transportation, the Illinois Tollway, the Skyway Concession Company LLC, and the Indiana Toll Road Concession Company LLC. The goal is to focus on operations within the region to ensure that traffic moves safely and efficiently. This goal is realized by interagency communication and coordination, improvement projects, training efforts, and region-wide planning.
Wisconsin Department of Transportation supports all forms of transportation. The department is responsible for planning, building and maintaining Wisconsin’s network of state highways and Interstate highway system.
The Illinois Department of Transportation (IDOT) has responsibility for planning, constructing and maintaining of Illinois’ extensive transportation network, which encompasses, highways and bridges, airports, public transit, rail freight and rail passenger systems.
Prepared by TMA of Lake Cook. For further information visit www.tmalakecook.org